Looking for crossword constructing software for your iPhone or iPad? Well, look no further. Crossword Maker For Cruciverbalists may be just the ticket. This handy tool has its own offline database and allows you to import your own word lists as well as reference external web resources. — CRUCIVERB.COM
This crossword compilation software helps you constructing crosswords in an enjoyable and efficient way. You could also share your work with friends by sending PDFs in email, or just print them.
★★★ What Users Say ★★★
A great tool for amateurs or professional constructors. – Faith McDonald
Lots of fun. Simple , effective and symmetrical. – De Quai
★★★ Features ★★★
* With pre-defined size: 7×7, 11×17, 15×15, 21×21, 15×11, 21×15; or user defined size
* Scalable and scrollable board
* Offline database for searching answers and clues from published crosswords
↳ The internal database contains 25K answers and 75K clues
↳ User could freely import and use their own word / clue lists
* Embedded web browser for quick reference to popular crossword websites without interruption (iPad only)
↳ One tap access to CRUCIVERB.COM, XWordInfo, and Crossword Tracker
* Single keyboard to design grid and fill letters
↳ Toggleable 180-degree symmetry of black squares (enabled by default)
* Title, author and copyright information
* Basic statistics
↳ General information, word length distribution, and letter usage
* Support adding theme-specific picture backdrops
↳ A powerful picture editor is included
* Export to PDF (blank or filled), iPUZ, and TXT (openable by Across Lite). And email the exported file.
* Import from TXT and PUZ, with standard “Open With…” interface, from email attachments, Dropbox, etc.
* Support Air Print
* Support Retina display
Managing Created Puzzles:
* Quick overview of all created crosswords
↳ Large thumbnail for previewing the crosswords
↳ View basic information: title, author, copyright, created date, and last saved date
* Set half-finished crosswords as templates, which could be used later when building new puzzles
* Support iCloud: Crosswords stored in iCloud are available on all your devices, and would be kept intact even if your device is broken, lost or stolen.
★★★ How to import and use your own word / clue list ★★★
1. Make a text file with extension “.cluelist”. Each word and clue pair is on a seperate line, seperated by space, as the example below:
CAT Double curve
BIRD Goose or loon
BIRD Celtic great
You could also omit the clue part, as the “OWL” line. In this case, the clue would be set as “undefined”.
2. Copy the .cluelist file to Crossword’s document folder via iTunes.
3. Open the “Setting” page via the top-left button on the starting page.
4. Tap the button “Import Word/Clue List”, and then choose the file you want to import. It takes a while to fully import your clue list if it’s huge.
5. Use the switcher “Use user database” to choose if you want to use the customized clue list, or the internal one.
When a clue list is huge (more than a few hundreds of megabytes), it would consume a big amount of memory when importing it. If you meet problem with this kind of list on low-end devices (e.g. the first generation of iPad), please simplify it to reduce the data amount.
Matt Ginsberg, for the awesome clue database